Earthsave Whistler was founded in November 2010, and in our first year we have done what we can in our spare time to bring the message of the benefits of a plant-based diet to Whistler. We are excited to share that we have some volunteers on board now and we are looking forward to doing lots of great things in the coming year. Together we can help more and more people to “Vote with their forks”! Here’s a look back on what we have worked on since we began.
- Started monthly meatless potluck dinners. The potlucks have grown from 5 people to approx. 25+ people attending each month.
- Organised a plant-based cooking demonstration with Whistler Blackcomb Executive Chef Wolfgang Sterr (30 people)
- Organised a Meatless Monday Dine-Out at Alta Bistro (25 people) and inspired the restaurant to continue Meatless Mondays for a number of weeks.
- Set up this website/blog as a means to share information, events and news (over 2500 views since July 2011).
- 3 x screenings of the movie Forks Over Knives in Whistler (130+ people reached). Donated a copy of the movie to the Library and a copy of the Engine 2 Diet book to the Fire Hall.
- Increased the reach of our Earthsave Whistler and Whistler Vegetarian Society facebook pages (600+ followers)
- Hosted a information booth at Whistler Wellness Fair, EnviroFest, Sherpas ‘All I Can’ Sustainability Symposium and Whistler Welcome Week
- Got Meatless Monday included in the Whistler Blackcomb staff newsletter
- Starred in a Shaw TV segment about Earthsave Whistler, featuring Wolfgang Sterr talking about food and the environment.
- Guest post on Meatless Mondays on Whistler Is Awesome blog
- Set up a twitter account and Instagram account (330+ followers)
- Told everyone we could that Bill Clinton is now following a plant-based diet for his health!
- Wrote press releases that led to articles in the local papers on food and the environment, Meatless Monday and Forks Over Knives.
- Helped promote Community Kitchens and other relevant events and movies
- Shared books and movies with as many friends, family and colleagues as we could
Some of the upcoming projects for 2012:
- Currently coordinating a movie screening of ‘Future of Food’ with LUNA (details coming soon)
- We are hoping to organise regular Meatless Monday dine-outs in Whistler to inspire restaurants to offer plant-based dishes, and to inspire people new to this way of eating to try them.
- Movie screenings of ‘Meat the Truth’, ‘Vegucated’ and ‘May I be Frank’
- Whistler Pop Up restaurant event
- Talk from local nutritionist on buying local, organic, seasonal food.
- Earth Day event
- Work with local restaurants on increasing plant-based options in Whistler
- Information booths
- …and lots more!
We want to extend a huge thank you to all of you for your continuing support and enthusiasm. We couldn’t do it without you! Our new volunteers also deserve a special shout out for coming on board to help out – Hayley G, Sharon, Martin and Tom.
Thanks everyone, for a great year. Here’s to another one!
-Hayley I & Jennie